Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Writing Skill: Organisation of a paragraph

Read the two paragraphs below, and follow the instructions.

Movies

There are three reasons why I love movies. First of all, movies take us all over the world. We can see beautiful sights and learn about interesting cultures without people ever leaving home. Second, movies show us how other people live and solve their problems. This helps us make decisions about our own problems. Finally, and maybe most important movies are just plain fun. After a hard day at work it feels good to sit down and be entertained by a good movie.


Television

My family has three television sets. Some channels are in languages other than English, so I can’t watch them. I like TV because there are so any different shows, but I don’t like to watch television with my brother because he changes the channels all the time. Some people like comedies because they help us forget a hard day at work. As for me, I like news and music shows the best. Some shows are very funny and some teach us about foreign countries and cultures.

1. Which paragraph is easier to understand because it’s better organized? Circle one. Movies  or Television

If you said Movies is better organized, you are right!

2. Movies is better organized because it has only one topic. Circle its topic.
Travel Movies  or what kinds of movies are best  or why I like movies

3. Movies has a topic sentence. The topic sentence gives the main idea of the paragraph. Underline the topic sentence in the paragraph.

4. Movies uses transition words and phrases such as 'first of all' to connect ideas in the paragraph. Find the other two transition words in the paragraph. Circle them.